There are times you may not be able to take on a large-scale home renovation project yourself. It may make more sense to hire a professional than to do it yourself. You want a contractor who will do the best job in an efficient manner.
However, there are many horror stories out there about contractors who didn’t deliver what they promised, or overcharged on work that took too long to complete. There are sites out there, like Angieslist.com, which can provide you reviews on various contractors, but let’s take a look at the things you should be aware of when hiring a contractor.
- Ask people in your immediate network. The best way to choose a contractor is talk to your family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc. They may have had some work done to their house and could give you a recommendation on a contractor, or steer you away from another one. You can even take a look firsthand and examples of a contractor’s work.
- Check licenses, complaints, and litigation history. Contractors should always be licensed. The procedures vary depending on the community you are in. Check with the Better Business Bureau or local court records for any problems.
- Choose a contractor who specializes in the type of work you are looking to get done. You wouldn’t go to the dentist to have open-heart surgery performed, right? You want a contractor who has successfully done the job you need on a consistent basis. If you are paying a contractor, he shouldn’t be using you as a guinea pig in order to determine if he can do a specific job or not.
- Make sure you get the proper permits. If a fly-by-night contractor tells you that a permit may not be needed in order to save you money, run. The work may not be inspected by the city or county, and could violate local ordinances. This could cost you more money in fines and repairs in the end. Also, be wary of those contractors who ask you to get the permits.
- Sign a detailed contract. The contract should spell out exactly what needs to be done, deadlines, progress payments, the materials needed and who will be providing those materials. Make sure you get everything in writing to protect yourself.
If you are looking for a skilled contractor to help you with your home repairs or renovations, look no further than Bauer Construction. Our team of pros has the experience necessary to help you with a high quality and hassle-free experience. Give us a call today at 847-553-5331.